Monday, January 2, 2012

2012: Screw It!

So my friends and I always try to come up with a motto for the year. For 2012 our motto is Screw It! I know that seems like a horrible motto, but hear us out. My friend Beth wrote a note that puts it all out there:

We mean this in a variety of ways, none of them dirty.
1.“Screw it” means taking some chances without overthinking. We both did this yesterday. Screw it.
2.“Screw it” means not caring as much about what people we really don’t care about think of us and the decisions we make with our lives. With our decisions, ultimately, we are responsible to God, to ourselves and our own happiness, and to our families. No one else. We’re not going to worry so much about other people’s perceptions of our decisions, especially when we don’t really care about most of those people anyway. Screw it.
3. “Screw it” means trying to take care of ourselves occasionally instead of everybody else. So, if I want or need to take a nap or go for a run in the middle of the day instead of grading papers, I’m going to give myself permission to do that and not feel guilty for “not doing something productive.” Screw it.
4.“Screw it” means doing/saying the occasional out-of-character thing. See number 1. Screw it.


My friend Beth has such a great gift for writing. She really explains exactly what we mean by "Screw It".

In keeping with this motto of 2012, I have set some goals for 2012.

1. I'm gonna try to blog at least 3 times a week, because I think it keeps me accountable and I like to put my thoughts out there sometimes.

2. I am also going to train for a marathon relay with my friends. I have never really thought about doing this, but I was asked and I'm gonna do it. I really think it is an appropriate goal if I do run/walk intervals. So, I'm gonna start that today.

3. Run a whole 5K. I'm hoping that in training for the 10K this will come along.

4. Plan my meals for the week and shop accordingly. Along with this, I'm going to start eating better.

5. Enjoy my friends, family, and job. I have amazing people in my life and sometimes I take them for granted. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I don't have the life I thought I would have by now. God has given me so much to be thankful for and I often overlook it. Not this year!

Overall, 2012 will be a year of me getting better physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Oh...did I mention I turn 30 this year and I'm totally freaking out about it.

Here's to 2012 people. Let's Embrace it and "screw it".



The lovely friends I rang in 2012 with. I had a blast:)

No comments:

Post a Comment